ANYTIME CHOCOLATE CAKE
Chocolate cake is almost a must-have for Christmas or any holiday, so this is what I’m sharing with you today.
This cake is easy to make and won’t take a ton of your time (just 40 - 45 minutes). It’s soft, chocolaty, not too filling. Plus:
- refined sugar free
- oil free
- vegan (like all our products and recipes)
Its high quality ingredients and medium size will save you from gaining 5 kg over holidays 🎄
I use half of our Plain cashew cream cheese jar inside the cake and half in the chocolate icing. So 1 small jar of Plain Terra Nut Cheese is all you need!
Watch Anytime Chocolate Cake video here:
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour or gluten free all-purpose flour;
1/4 cup coconut flour;
3/4 cup raw coconut sugar,
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder,
1 tsp baking soda, 1 1/3 cup plant milk,
1 tsp vinegar,
1 small jar (200 g) of Plain cashew cream cheese,
vanilla extract (2 tsp for the cake, 1/4 tsp for the icing),
fresh berries, cacao nibs for topping
1. Before you do anything else, preheat the oven to 170°C.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients together: 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup coconut flour, 3/4 cup coconut sugar (I use 1/4 measuring cup 3 times), 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder and 1 tsp baking soda.
3. Wet ingredients time! First, make buttermilk by mixing 1 1/3 cup of plant milk with 1 tbsp of vinegar. I use Japanese rice vinegar because I always happen to have that in the house for making sushi, but apple cider vinegar will work just fine.
4. Add the rest of the 'wet' ingredients to the buttermilk: 1/3 plain cashew cream cheese (half of a 200 g jar approximately) and 2 tsp vanilla extract. The cream cheese is thick, so break it up with a spoon first, then use a hand mixer or a stick blender (my fave!) to bend this into creamy cheesy goodness.
5. Pour the wet mixture on top of dry, mix until just incorporated.
6. Spread the batter in a smaller-sized cake pan and bake for 30 minutes at 170°C. If you use a sheet of parchment paper at the bottom of the pan, you won't need to grease the pan. I get away with not using any oil all! You can check the readiness of the cake with a wooden toothpick. If it comes out dry, the cake is ready.
7. Let the cake cool down. Use a butterknife to help you get it out of the pan.
8. While the cake is baking / cooling down, make CHOCO-LICIOUS ICING. Use the second half of the cream cheese jar (about 1/3 cup), mix it by hand with 1 tbsp of water or plant milk, 1,5 - 2 tbsp maple syrup (I use 1.5 tbsp, but maybe you like it sweeter; date syrup works here too), 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, 2 tbsp cocoa powder.
It's best to put the icing in the fridge and let it sit there until the cake is ready to be iced. It'll get thicker, better texture after sitting in the fridge for 30 minutes.
9. Spread the icing on the cake, decorate with fresh berries and raw cacao nibs.
10. Cut yourself a slice and eat it right away :)
6 vegan cheese sauces you can make in under 5 minutes!
SHARE this recipe with your friends: