BEETROOT RISOTTO (Vegan, Oil Free)
You might know how much I love Italian food, so this velvety, plush risotto simply had to be the next logical recipe. 🇮🇹
Whether you like beetroot or not so much, I encourage you to give this recipe a try.
My partner Lark isn't a huge fan of this bright red (and super healthy!) vegetable, but you should see how he devours this risotto. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
This is the brightest dish ever, and our Dill & Garlic cream cheese takes it from good to next level creamy, cheesy and flavourful. No goat’s cheese or even oil needed, just the tasty plant-strong goodness. 💕
Watch my 2-minute video and see the steps below & my tips to help you make the finest risotto out there. 👌
1/2 medium onion (or a full small one);
3 garlic cloves
handful of fresh herbs: sage, basil, rosemary;
2 medium (or 3 small) beetroots;
5 cups vegetable stock;
1 cup rice
! Tip: I use 1/4 cup white rice and 1/4 cup black rice. It makes your risotto look even better and adds extra nutrients.
3 tbsp Terra Dill & Garlic cashew cream cheese + a few chunks for final decoration and extra cheesiness;
1 tbsp Italian herbs;
dash of salt
1. First, chop 1/2 medium onion (1 small) and 3 garlic cloves in small pieces. Shred them further with a knife like I'm showing in the video to make them smaller and avoid large chunks.
2. Peel the 2 (3 small) beetroots and grate them finely. Be very careful with your hands when you grate, it's easy to hurt yourself... and the dish won't be vegan anymore. 😆
Chop your fresh herbs if you have any.
! Tip: I used purple basil from our own tiny garden, it's so good in this risotto, and just look at that colour! However, you can use any fresh or dried Italian herbs you find, they'll all work well here.
3. In a pot, heat 5 cups of vegetable broth to simmer. Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer while you're making the dish.
! Tip: Put a measuring cup aside near the broth pot so you have it handy when you need to add liquid to your risotto. I prefer using 1/4 or 1/3 measuring cup for this purpose.
4. In a large pan, heat 1/2 cup water, add chopped onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Stir in the rice (3/4 white + 1/4 black, or just 1 cup of white rice).
6. Add about 1 cup of simmering broth, then add chopped fresh herbs, 1 tbsp of dried Italian herbs, 3 big spoons Dill & Garlic cream cheese, some ground black pepper and a dash of sea salt. Mix well.
! Tip: When choosing dried herbs, stock powder and seasoning in store, make sure you check the ingredients. Sadly, quite a few spice mixes have weird ingredients you probably don't want in your meals, and some aren't even vegan! Ideally, buy from the brands you trust and choose simple, mostly organic ingredients whenever possible.
7. Add grated beetroot, mix well and top up with more broth.
8. Cook for 20 - 25 minutes, until the rice is tender, keep adding the broth 1/2 -1 cup at a time, until you run out. Stir consistently!
! Tip: If you've run out of broth, but the rice isn't soft enough yet, add 1/2 cup hot water at a time and keep cooking until it gets as tender as you want it to be.
9. When ready, turn the heat off and add a few chunks of Dill & Garlic cashew cream cheese, trying not to break them apart.
10. Serve with fresh basil leaves, ground pepper and pieces of Dill cream cheese on top.
6 vegan cheese sauces you can make in under 5 minutes!
SHARE this recipe with your friends: