EASY HEALTHY CARROT CAKE
This carrot cake might be my healthiest recipe, definitely the healthiest baking recipe on the website so far! It’s got no sugar, oil or white flour at all and is pretty much as good as eating oatmeal (guess what we had for breakfast today).
The ‘secret’ is probably orange juice and zest from a sweet (organic!) orange, makes the whole difference in flavour, and when you take it out of the oven, your kitchen will smell like an orchard 😋
The cake itself doesn’t contain our cream cheese. It’s in the icing, of course, which is delicious! But you can even skip the icing and glaze the cake with refined sugar free orange marmalade or just sprinkle zest, grated carrot or desiccated coconut on top.
Watch my 2-minute video and/or read the steps below.
Watch Easy Healthy Carrot Cake recipe video here:
1 cup oats
1 cup buckwheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp turmeric - just for nutritional benefits, you won't even taste it!
1 heaping cup of dates;
juice of 1 medium organic orange (1/2 cup);
2 tbsp orange zest of the same orange (save a couple more spoons for the icing)
! Make sure the orange is organic, otherwise it's probably better to skip the zest.
1/2 cup plant milk or water
1 tsp vanilla extract
+ 2 medium carrots, grated finely
For chia egg:
1/2 tbsp chia seeds + 1/4 cup water
For the orange vanilla icing:
1/3 cup (half of a 200 g jar) Plain cashew cream cheese
2 tbsp of orange zest
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1,5 tbsp maple or date syrup (date syrup will make the colour darker)
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C (330°F).
2. Soak the dates in hot water for 10 - 15 minutes, while you're getting the other ingredients ready. Drain the dates before using them!
3. Grate the carrots finely and put them aside in a bowl.
Squeeze 1 medium orange to get juice, make sure you have 1/2 cup (if you have less, just add some water to it ;)).
Take the zest from the same orange, you'll need 2 tbsp to put in the cake and 2 tbsp fr the icing.
4. Make chia egg: mix 1/2 tbsp of ground chia seeds with 1/4 cup water, let it thicken and turn into jelly.
! Tip: I love grinding chia seeds (or any seeds!) in coffee grinder - super easy!
I mix ground seeds with water using a fork - perfect tool for breaking up all the lumps :)
5. Blend dry ingredients together in a food processor, transfer into a large bowl and set aside.
6. Mix all the wet ingredients and the chia egg in the same food processor, no need to wash it in-between.
7. Pour dry on wet and mix. Then fold in grated carrot.
8. Bake in a cake pan, covered with parchment paper, for 30-32 minutes.
9. While the cake is in the oven, make Orange Vanilla icing by mixing 1/3 cup cashew cream cheese, 2 tbsp orange zest, 1/4 tsp vanilla and 1,5 tbsp maple syrup with a spoon. You can double the icing quantities if you need more!
! Tip: Put the icing in the fridge and let it sit there until the cake is ready. It'll get thicker and better in texture.
10. Take the cake out of the oven, it should be slightly brown on top. Let it cool down for at least 30 minutes.
11. Spread the icing on the cake, you can sprinkle it with orange zest, finely grated carrot or desiccated coconut for a more festive look.
12. Cut yourself a slice and enjoy 😍
6 vegan cheese sauces you can make in under 5 minutes!
SHARE this recipe with your friends: