FLUFFY STRAWBERRY MUFFINS
These are the fluffiest muffins I've ever made and I believe one of my most successful recipes. You can't even imagine how many of these we've eaten in the past few weeks, and they turn out perfect pretty much every time!
My inspiration for this recipe came from the book 'Bake Vegan Stuff, Easy Recipes for Kids' by NZ baking queen Sara Kidd (check her book out for lots of delicious cakes and treats you wouldn't believe could be made vegan).
I wouldn't call these muffins healthy, but rather healthy-ish (I tried!). Yes, they do have some white flour, but no refined sugar, butter, oil or animal products of course.
Our Plain cashew cream cheese works amazing at replacing oil or butter in baking, and in this recipe I feel like it was designed for it.
The muffins take about 15 minutes to put together and about the same time to bake. Using strawberry jam or any other jam here is completely up to you. You can also make them gluten free by replacing wheat flour with rice flour (the muffins won't be as fluffy, but still good).
Watch my 2-minute video or read the steps below ;)
Watch Fluffy Strawberry Muffins video here:
1 tbsp flax seeds,
1 cup white flour,
1/2 cup whole wheat flour,
1/4 cup corn flour,
3/4 cup coconut sugar,
1,5 tsp baking powder,
1 tsp baking soda,
1 1/3 cup plant milk,
1 tbsp vinegar (I use Japanese rice vinegar)
1/3 cup Plain cashew cream cheese,
2 tsp vanilla extract refined sugar free strawberry jam (if desired)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Make flax 'egg' by mixing 1 tbsp of round flax seeds with 2.5 tsp of hot water. Set aside.
3. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
4. Make buttermilk: mix 1 1/3 cup of plant milk with 1 tbsp of vinegar. The mixture will thicken.
5. Add cream cheese, vanilla and flax 'egg' to the buttermilk. Mix by hand, then with a mixer / blender to get a smooth texture.
6. Pour wet on dry, mix together gently until just incorporated. Don't overmix!
7. Put 1 spoon at the bottom of each muffin hole (you should get 12 - 15 muffins). Add 1 tsp of strawberry jam in each hole, then cover with more batter, 3/4 full.
! You don't have to fill the muffins with jam. If you don't have it, just make each muffin hole 3/4 full.
8. Bake in preheated oven for 15 - 17 minutes (I bake for 16 minutes exactly).
9. When ready, take the muffins out of the tin and let them cool down. Spread 1 tsp of jam on top of each muffin for more strawberry deliciousness.
10. Try not to eat them ALL by yourself (what, does it only happen to me??)
6 vegan cheese sauces you can make in under 5 minutes!
SHARE this recipe with your friends: