PUMPKIN MAC AND CHEESE
The idea that you need to have animal products in Mac and Cheese is long gone. Nowadays, you can make this dish both tasty and actually pretty healthy!
There are lots of wholefood, veggie-based versions of Mac and Cheese out there already. This is the one we both love, and all our friends do too.
The 'queen' of this dish is pumpkin, which you can either bake in the oven, or cook the way I'm showing in the video - the quickest way! I love cooking, especially when it doesn't take too long 😉
Watch Pumpkin Mac and Cheese video here:
a piece of a medium pumpkin (about 1/4) or half of a small butternut squash;
4 garlic cloves;
1/2 to a cup of plant milk;
1/2 cup Plain or Smoky cashew cream cheese;
4 tbsp nutritional yeast, more to taste (there's almost never too much of this stuff!)
1 - 1,5 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp turmeric - don't worry, you won't taste it, but will get the healthy benefits :)
1,5 tbsp Vegemite (or Marmite)
juice of 1/2 small lemon
1. Cut the pumpkin / butternut squash and garlic.
2. Heat a cup of water in a pot.
3. Cook the vegetables in the pot on low for about 10 minutes or until soft.
4. Meanwhile, cook he pasta.
5. Add the rest of the ingredients to the pumpkin: plant milk, Plain cashew cream cheese, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, turmeric, Vegemite and lemon juice.
6. Blend the ingredients together until creamy.
! Tip: You can always add more water or plant milk to achieve the right consistency. Also, add more nutritional yeast and / or smoked paprika to your taste.
7. Mix the sauce with pasta, add some chopped sundried tomatoes or jalapeños.
8. Share with friends to knock their socks off!
6 vegan cheese sauces you can make in under 5 minutes!
SHARE this recipe with your friends: