SOFTEST FRUIT CAKE
I first made this cake on New Year's Eve 2020, and then countless times to perfect the recipe. This is now my all-time favourite cake, and I'm so excited to share it with you today!
It's super soft, moist and delicious, being vegan and oil free at the same time. Gary LOVES it, and we love it too 🐿️
The 2 secrets are our Plain / Natural cream cheese that I use instead of oil or butter and chia 'egg' which helps create this perfect texture and add healthy nutrients at the same time.
Enjoy a piece with a cup of tasty tea and maybe some cream cheese on top ☕
Watch Softest Fruit Cake video here:
1/2 tbsp chia seeds + 1/4 cup water - for chia "egg";
1/3 cup raisins;
1/3 cup chopped dried apricots;
1 cup high grade wheat flour (or gluten free flour);
1/2 cup wholemeal flour;
1/3 cup desiccated coconut;
1/2 cup raw coconut sugar;
1 tsp baking soda;
1 cup plat milk;
1 tbsp vinegar (I'm crazy about Umeboshi vinegar now, but apple cider works just fine);
1/3 cup cashew cream cheese (half of a 200 g jar);
1/2 tbsp vanilla extract;
refined sugar free apricot jam;
desiccated coconut and edible flowers - for decoration
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C (320°F).
2. Make chia "egg": mix 1/2 tbsp ground chia seeds with 1/4 cup of water. After you mix for just a few seconds, you'll see magic happen: it turns into jelly ✨
I've been using chia "egg" in baking for so long, and seeing the seeds turn into gel makes me excited like a kid every single time! (HM... so why do people still use chicken eggs in baking??)
! Tip 1: I grind the seeds in coffee grinder. It's perfect for it, and in fact I've been using it almost exclusively for this purpose recently as we haven't been drinking very much coffee 😄
! Tip 2: I mix ground seeds with water using a fork, it breaks up all the lumps so easily!
3. Chop dried apricots into medium pieces. Measure 1/3 cup of raisins and 1/3 cup apricot pieces and soak them in water for a few minutes, while you're getting the rest of the ingredients ready.
! Tip: Dried fruit tends to have added sugar and oil, be careful while choosing it and check the ingredients. Personally, I love dried apricots from Ceres Organics: they're free from oil and sugar and are super soft!
4. Whisk DRY ingredients together until well combined. You only need 1/2 cup of coconut sugar, because the dried fruit will add a lot of sweetness to the cake.
5. Mix plant milk with vinegar. Let it thicken, then add vanilla, chia "egg" and cream cheese. First mix with a spoon, until the cream cheese is well incorporated, then use a stick blender or a hand mixer. If you don't have one, mix it with a spoon for longer, until smooth (it's good for your arm muscles 😉).
6. Mix wet and dry gently. Drain the dried fruit and mix in the batter.
7. Place the batter in a non-stick cake pan, I use a ring pan, but the shape doesn't matter. If you grease the pan with canola oil or vegan butter, it'll come out easily. But you probably don't have to grease it if you have a non-stick pan.
Bake for 38 minutes approximately at 160°C (320°F), until golden brown.
8. Let the cake cool down.
9. Glaze with refined sugar free apricot jam and decorate with desiccated coconut (check the ingredients and choose organic if possible, some of them contain pretty shady ingredients).
10. Enjoy with a cup of warm tea!
6 vegan cheese sauces you can make in under 5 minutes!
SHARE this recipe with your friends: